What to Know About Building in Harris County, GA
Building a house from scratch in Harris County, Georgia can seem like a daunting task. Where do I start? How much will it cost? How long will it take? All of these are valid questions! At the end of the day, moving into your new custom home will make all of the work worth it. Located in beautiful Harris County, Georgia, John Bunn Realty is here to help you get started on the right foot. Here is what you need to know about building a house in Harris County.
Finding Your Perfect Location in Harris County
One of the first steps to building your dream home is finding that perfect location. Take into consideration your lifestyle and what is important to you. If you have kids, you won’t want to be too far from schools. How far are you willing to drive to go to the grocery store, shopping, church, etc. Harris County, Georgia has a ton to offer with access to outstanding schools, a below national average cost of living, and a reasonable commute to bigger cities such as Columbus or Atlanta.
Located in Harris County, Georgia, John Bunn Realty has almost 27 years of experience in real estate. We want to help you find the perfect location for your dream home.
Determine Your Timeline
Building a home from the ground up is a big project! There will be hiccups and delays that arise that you have no control over. Decide on a timeline and communicate it with your contractor, builders, inspectors, etc. but understand that inclement weather and unexpected building issues happen. Use your timeline as a guide rather than a strict itinerary.
Keep a Flexible Budget
Before you begin the planning process, determine how much you can afford. Put together an invoice of all of the total costs for the house. This includes Harris County tax requirements, material costs, labor costs, down payments, amenities, among others. Ideally, this total should come in with quite a bit of wiggle room in your total budget. There will undoubtedly be some overlooked expenses, so it’s best to have a safety net set aside for those.
Clearly communicated your budget with your architect. Don’t be afraid to ask for suggestions or pointers, but ultimately, it’s your decision. There are financing options such as a construction loan. With a construction loan, the lender will inspect the project at every step.
Create a Construction Portfolio
Repeat after me: Planning is everything! Plan out as much as you possibly can before you start building. Once construction starts, things move rapid-fire: constant questions, updates, decisions, you name it. Creating a construction portfolio will make everything move so much smoother. Compile notes and pictures of houses and finishes that you like. Some common features to include are:
- Size of the house – How many rooms will there be? Your home should fit within your budget and provide an appropriate amount of space. Think about your needs 5 or 10 years down the road.
- Lawn/Landscaping – Is a big yard with lots of space important to you? Plan for it!
- Layout – Open or closed concept? This is also a great time to start planning fixtures, furniture, and finishes too.
- Directionality – Which direction do you want the front of your house to face? Consider the sun’s positioning during each season and how that might affect your house layout.
- Electricity and Plumbing – Plan where you will want to put your larger appliances. Will you need a lot of outlets? Where?
- Storage!!! – Don’t forget to plan storage! Although planning your storage is not nearly as exciting as designing your new master bathroom, it will greatly impact your life later. Sufficient storage is often one of the most overlooked but most valued parts of a home.
Communicate and Don’t Make Assumptions
We’ve all heard the saying, “Communication is key.” Building a home is no different. Communicate constantly with your realtor searching for land and your builder. While mistakes are inevitable, frequent and clear communication can significantly minimize them. Make sure your desires are clear and check in with regular updates. Your builders will appreciate it and it will make your life easier.
Start Building Your Dream Home in Harris County Today!
Building your own dream house is such a rewarding process. To learn more or get started, call us at John Bunn Realty today!